The fit of your retainers will be regularly checked during the retainer phase of treatment.
Things to remember:
- Wear your retainers full-time, removing them for mealtimes.
- The best place to store your retainers when not in your mouth- during meal times- is in the retainer case.
- Keep your retainers away from pets – they will chew them.
- Brush your retainers at least once a day with a toothbrush and a bit of toothpaste. – Never use boiling or very hot water as it can warp or melt retainers.
- If desired, soak retainers in diluted mouth wash solution for 10 minutes. or use retainer cleaner (available at the drug store). Do not leave retainers soaking in mouthwash for long periods of time as they will be weakened.
- If you get white mineral deposits on your retainers soak them in a ½ water ½ vinegar solution, then brush with toothpaste.
Broken retainers can sometimes be repaired depending on the level of damage. The patient needs to be present when the retainer is brought to the office for repair. We check fit of the retainer in the mouth before it is sent to the lab. There is a repair fee charged by the lab.
If retainers are lost or damaged beyond repair they need to be replaced. Replacement retainers must be paid for by the patient. The patient will come to the office to have new impressions taken. The impressions are sent to the lab. Retainers are delivered the next day. It is best to have the impressions done early in the week to have the retainer returned to the patient before the weekend.